The Mister has, now, been in the UAE for almost 9 months. (We missed out on enough time to make one more baby). We were supposed to follow 6 months later, but were stalled by several reasons. One thing came up after another and the final issue was The Mother’s residents visa. The UAE isn’t giving out parents ‘ residents visas till Eid, which is in September, so The Mister finally got her a 90 days visit visa. The approval for the 90 days visa came today and if everything goes as planned we will be flying on the 25th of this month inshallah, which is exactly 8 days from today.
Yes panic, because there is so much to do and so little time! But I’ll focus on those later. I’d rather first elaborate on how the move came about. If you are not interested in knowing the details for our decision to move, skip the next few paraghraphs.
The Mister had a work-at-home kind of job, with an American Company. He was their sole representative in Pakistan. A good job, good enough pay and ample time to spend with family but there were issues every month with delayed salary, among other and the final straw was when they stalled his salary, when a Pakistani customer failed to pay their dues. He definitely was responsible for collecting the payment, but the company was a little unfair in withholding his salary for almost two months. The Mister resigned and was jobless for a few months.
The job situation in Pakistan is definitely at its worst at present, due to several reasons. The top most being the law and order situation which I believe is closely followed by the global financial crisis.
Anyways, The Mister, got an offer from a Pakistani Company based on the UAE. The remuneration offered wasn’t what we would have liked, but it was better than nothing. Plus it gave us a chance to take our kids to a safer place, where I won’t worry my heart out when my pre-schooler is at pre-school and a bomb blasts somewhere in the city. So we took it up.
I had a small home based business, where I designed and got clothes made mostly for overseas Pakistanis. Little did I know, that soon, I’d be one of them too. I had to say goodbye to it. That’s one thing I’m going to miss a lot. I loved my work, though it was super tiring and very time consuming, but apart from the monetary benefits, it also gave me a sense of achievement, which I’d never experienced in my 9 – 5 jobs. Here’s a link to my Facebook page, if interested in seeing my work:
Things are now going to be different. We will be living in a better place but on much less than what we are used to. We’ll be living in a two bedroom apartment where one bedroom goes to The Mother and I, The Mister and the Miniatures live in the Master bedroom. I am thinking of using a room separator for some “US TIME” 🙂
I’ll be looking for a job…. again. I would definitely prefer a Part-time or Work-at-home, even if it doesn’t pay much, because I would like to be with The Miniatures as much as possible. Also, I can leave The Princess with the The Mother, but The Mother has literally no patience with The Spirited. He needs me more than his younger sister.
Things I need to get done in the Next 8 Days:
- The hardest for me: The spirited has his second proper dentist appointment, scheduled for this Tuesday. He has to get two cavities filled in. He already had his front teeth done last Saturday. The front teeth weren’t that bad. We got it done with a few tears, but the morals worry me. I really hope it goes well and both teeth are done the same day.
- Princess Vaccination Card: On our last Ped visit, I forgot to take The Princess’ vaccination card with me. I blame my Mommy Brains for that. She got her shots and the ped asked me to take the vaccination card to him to get it signed. It’s been two months and I still haven’t gotten it signed.
- Vaccinations for Princess: I just realized it’s not just the card. The last time we were there, we were supposed to move in a weeks time but were stalled. Her next vaccinations are due in August. I think we can get those done a week earlier, before we leave.
- Get myself an extra pair of specs
- Extra pair of contact lenses
- Finish packing
- Give away everything that I’v put in bags and marked Give Away
- Call Dad and let him know of our schedule
- Return borrowed books
- Give away books I can’t take along *sniff* *sniff*
- Buy medicine I’ll be needing for the kids. I’v been told Meds are expensive over there, so I should take along the necessary staples
- See my OB and a dermatologist for certain issues.
- Call The Spirit’s Ped and ask her if we can get his vaccination earlier too
- There’s so much more, which I can’t think of
Probably this was one long boring entry, but I had to put that in writing, for my own self atleast 🙂
Inshallah, I’ll be back with more interesting stuff, later.